This recipe originally appeared in the Hollywood Bowl Chef’s Picnic Club. “A Southern California native who grew up on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica and cooked all over the world, Armstrong has introduced some soulful Southern notes into his repertoire at Post & Beam in Baldwin Hills and Willie Jane in Venice.”
“Classic Motown including Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Diana Ross, etc., is always woven into the mix when I’m in the kitchen. Typically, mellow music with a strong rhythm—like The xx, The Temper Trap, and Thievery Corporation—keeps me inspired, on pace, and focused.”
- 1-1/4 pounds Tillamook medium cheddar, shredded
- 1 8-ounce can pimentos
- 1/4 cup pimento brine (the liquid from the can of pimentos)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup whole-egg aioli or your favorite vegan mayo
- Salt and pepper
- Place cheese, pimentos and brine into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer into a bowl and mix in spices and mayonnaise.
- Serve with your favorite crostini or crackers, and charcuterie.